Friday, May 31, 2013

Dedicated To You Kind People


So, since my last blog, the overall atmosphere became slightly more unfortunate than usual. The night before last, I acquired some kind of a stomach bug/potentially dehydration which managed to put a bit of a damper on my mood. It was an evening of a series of misfortunes. Apartment A7 being who we are, we of course laughed hysterically, but it was in the midst of our broken toilet acquiring a noticeable odor, our corn being burnt to small corn crisps and the rice coming out as a large ball (which we will be eating for the next two weeks because it made much more than anticipated), ants inhabiting Kaitlyn's lunch box and a significant portion of our living room (one of which just now crawled across my leg so I suppose we didn't permanently solve that particular problem), breaking one of our four bowls and then of course I got very sick and achieved zero winks of sleep. So, it was a great night! Eating was no longer a fun task and some intense pain was experienced, but we're back in the now and my body is feeling much more like a human should. Inshallah, I'm in the clear! 

Even as these things were happening, I promise that our levels of positivity stayed afloat and we laughed through every passing second. Because it was hilarious. Anywho. The following morning, I opted to go to class despite my not feeling well...it was a rough day. However, I learned a lot and do not regret this! Alas, as I said, it was a very rough day and I shall now take this moment to virtually express my gratitude to everyone here who was more than kind and took wonderful care of me, even though I was an absolute mess. It's the simple gestures of caring and compassion that never fail to touch me. And I sincerely love everyone here. Waed even brought us extra bread, cheese, oranges, a fan and hugs. It really does not get any better. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for being such angels! Shukran ya asahibtii (And ignore my horrible transliterating).

Aside from disease and the like, we were also able to meet our language partners yesterday! After class, we headed to a meeting with all of the American students here as well as the JUST students participating in our program. We listened to all of the professors speak and were reminded of our overall goals of cultural intertwining and being ourselves in this foreign land. They basically encouraged us to establish relationships with our partners and truly attempt to learn everything we can of the people in this country. I'm psyched. Personally, I have two language partners named Rania and Manar. They are both extremely kind, just the right level of giggly for my own purposes and intensely intelligent. I'm honestly a bit jealous of pretty much everyone here just due to the fact that they have been able to grow up surrounded by this culture. Meeting new people always enhances this feeling a bit. Everyone at JUST is brilliant. And they all seem to have wonderful morals and families. Muhammed always said in class that we are (partially) inherently defined by who we are born as; our names, our birthplaces, our families...they all work to make up an outline of who we become and these things cannot ever be erased or replaced. I am also a strong believer in this. And I'm proud to be where I am in life. But, I'm moving to the Middle East and becoming Jordanian. It's fine. ;) 

After all of this excitement, I took a lengthy nap and drank lots of water. When I woke from my hibernation, it was time for dinner (I attempted some mac and cheese and all was well). And then we had a bit of a hafla! There was card playing and a bit of craziness. I mostly just sat and watched, water and cheerios in hand, but it was great fun and extremely entertaining. All in all, the getting sick included, it has been nothing but more adventure. Much of my learning was outside of the classroom these past couple of days, as it so happens, and I am just as incredibly appreciative of these lessons. Tonight, we are traveling to Waed's family home where we get to meet many of her relatives as well as be treated to the Jordanian dish of mansif!! Inshallah, I will post more tonight or tomorrow morning as there are sure to be more tales to tell! :) <3 Ma'salama!          

No comments:

Post a Comment