Monday, June 17, 2013

Freedom, Hearts and Happiness. Must be Wadi Rum.

Wadi Rum. Those words now hold a special place in my heart. It's possible this is an over-dramatic statement...Nah, it's not. On the bus ride there, Muhammed turned to me and said something along the lines of "You. You're going to find God or something in Wadi Rum. You're going to find five! If you like the bus views..." Obviously, I laughed at this. However, I'm pretty sure I had around seven religious experiences with Wadi Rum and it was without a doubt the best day of my life. I've never been able to identify a single experience as being so intensely amazing that I remember it as the best. But, this took the cake. It was maybe a two hour trip and though I was completely exhausted upon getting on the bus, somewhere in the middle, I took a 20 minute nap and woke up completely rejuvenated. Clearly, my body knew how awesome of a time I was about to have. I was practically bouncing in my seat. We arrived to the sight of various Bedouin camps within Wadi Rum, all set up for the enormous amounts of tourists who visit this spectacle of Jordan. We sat down in one of the (extremely cool) camp sites and were given some (amazing) tea while we waited for our jeeps to arrive. In this time span, we also used the bathrooms, which were quite awesome. Being in Jordan has made me want to do a serious pitch to HGTV...on several occasions. The bathrooms instilled a similar feeling. 

When our three jeeps arrived, we all jumped in, ready for an adventure. And an adventure we got. In our jeep was myself, Christine, Kaitlyn, Chris and the greatest (most insane) Bedouin driver that ever lived. We were in the lead and I must say...this two hour ride/tour of Wadi Rum was the most fantastic time I've ever had. We begin. With a stop at an ancient cave which contained Arabic writings carved into the walls at every turn (some of which I could read!) ((some of which I absolutely could not!!)) and   a large stone with carved out portions which we learned was actually a map of Petra. Incredible. From there, some of us climbed out of the cave the dangerous way and, while I have the slightest fear of heights and falling off of things as I am not the most graceful person in the world, it was a success, no one died and I felt very overly accomplished! Back to the jeeps! As we continued speeding along the non-paths of the desert (when I say speeding...I mean driving ridiculously fast over hills and around turns that did not actually require turning. It was the greatest thing ever. We were flying) the sun was set high in the sky. Absolutely surreal. And the most magnificent views of my tiny, little life. Our next stop on the 'best time of your life' train was a small plant which the Bedouins use to make soap! There was a little science sprinkled upon my day of wonder. We were all given small bits of the plant, which we crushed as best we could. With some added water and friction, a wonderful smelling soap was produced! Oh, chemistry. 

Following our interactive plant session was another glorious jeep ride (wherein there was Titanic stance-taking, ab-crunching laughs, camel caravan-spotting and the feeling of being absolutely, purely one with nature. Free as a bird. If only I could relive those perfect moments..) to the valley of Wadi Rum. Basically, you can see everything. And no camera could capture the enormity of its effect. There were huge hills of sand which some of us attempted to jump off of. Tim was doing flips in the air and Christine and I leapt off together, hands up and hearts happy. We landed with soft sinks into the Earth. So cool. Smiles only growing, we then headed to our next stop. An actual small mountain of sand leading up to rocks for us to climb. Sand Run 2013. Our jeep arrived first and Kaitlyn and I jumped out of the backs, determined to sprint up. Approximately two minutes later, we had not moved very far and our thighs were screaming bloody murder. It was a sincere challenge. Of course, the guys arrived soon thereafter and ran ahead of us. Kaitlyn and I stayed strong though and eventually made it to the top. AMAZING feeling. See the caps? I went for the caps. It was incredible. I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face (nor the sweat) and that was the moment that I realized how insanely lucky I was to be so happy. And purely care-free. I don't think I have ever been so content. Laughs were easy and everyone was feeling on top of the world. After taking it in? We got to run back down. I can't even tell you how cool it was. I jumped with each step and literally felt as though I was flying down the sand. Arms out in front of me, it was the most fun I've potentially ever had. And then we were back on the jeeps.

We were aware that we were going somewhere to watch the sunset. Other than that, we were just passengers. We came to a hill filled with other jeeps like ours and a very many people clearly waiting to watch the sunset as well. However, our driver did not stop. Instead, we plowed down the hillside rather than around it (very nearly almost running over some shabab) and sped onward! It was kind of really exhilarating. By this point, we were all at our absolute happiest. We were screaming at the top of our lungs and cheering on our awesome driver. More camels were seen, the wind was in our faces and I can quite honestly say that I've never lived like we did on that drive. And then, we arrived at a compilation of rocks in Wadi Rum. Thrilled is an understatement. We climbed to the top before anyone else and stood, utterly out of breath. And not from the mini hike. It was beautiful. Waiting for the sunset, I just sat. And breathed with the world. I was able to just be. With myself and with my thoughts. In truth, I never really thought I would make it to Jordan. And that moment allowed me to sum up and feel how lucky I am. How proud I should be. How grateful. I closed my eyes and felt alive. Everyone around me was talking and laughing and I loved it. I have never felt such peace. What a beautiful place. We headed back to camp and I was simply on Cloud 9. 

Food for the evening was cooked in the traditional Bedouin way of burying and heating their meals underground. We were able to watch them dig it up and serve everything. It was delicious. Every meal just gets better, if it's even possible. Plus, there were kittens. After dinner, Kaitlyn and Chris got married. They tell us it was a mock Bedouin wedding, but I mean...we don't have any real way of knowing that. ;) It was incredibly fun. I love dancing. Despite not knowing what I'm doing in the slightest. And that was just ideal. It was hilarious and beautiful and happy. A perfect end to the absolute perfect day. Or so we thought. Following our hafla, Christine and I went to the bathrooms before boarding the bus once more. This is relevant because as we were leaving the bathrooms, I happened to look up. And therein I witnessed the most stars I have ever seen in my life. It was spectacular. And moving. They were so clear. And the moon was set above the area in the camps where the rest of our group was. It was amazing. When we returned to everyone and pointed out the sky, Waed told us that we could stop at a dark spot on the roads just to look at the stars. Al hamdulilah. What an astounding moment. Considering only hours before, we were all marveling at the impressive view of the sun, it was that much more moving to be able to see the perfect counterpart. And there were no buildings or neon signs in our way. We were graced with open desert. And an unreal view of the night above us. The stars were sparkling down on us with smiles of their own. There were millions visible to us. We could see the Milky Way. I couldn't tear myself away. Christine cried. It was intense. Oh! Some camels also ran by us as we were gazing! I'm necessarily sure that that moment defined perfection. We all knew it, too. My heart was swelling. I felt fulfilled. And emotional as anything. I was in my element all day long. But, this piece of nature and life that was right in front of us for us to be a part of?...It took the prize. It was just insane that I could be so happy in such a beautiful place. My soul was happy. I was happy...in every fiber of my being. Looking at that soul-shattering display made me appreciate everything I've been given in this life, the good and the bad. Muhammed was right. I found Gods. They're everywhere. I couldn't be more grateful to be where I am right now, so at home and so content. I will certainly never forget this day or the feelings that went with it. Inshallah. 

From there, we travelled to our next hotel. We got a bit lost (I love getting lost...add it to the list of things that made this day even greater) but eventually arrived (around midnight) at our second 5-star hotel, called the Movenpick. I was literally happier than I've ever been in my life. I floated on up to our room, and recalled the day from my extremely comfortable bed. It smelled wonderful, too. Maybe it was me because I also took the most beautiful shower of my life and was able to use the hotel's complimentary shampoo and conditioner which were enhanced with Dead Sea minerals. 

Without a doubt the best day of my life. Thank God. In every language and religion. It was beautiful. And the morning brought Petra. 

No comments:

Post a Comment