Monday, June 17, 2013

Petra!

Continuing from the previous chapter of Crossing Borders...I slept better than I ever have in that fluffy bed of wonder at the Movenpick hotel, located right outside the entrance of Petra. And I woke up smiling and absolutely ready for Petra! We had another wonderful complimentary breakfast (for me, of watermelon, English bread and a bit of each fresh juice). It was fantastic and all of the people there were incredibly kind! Favorite morning yet, if I may say so. I was just on the natural high of Wadi Rum life the entire time. It did not die. I also showered a second time because I could. And it was great. After exploring the hotel and laying out by the pool until we had to check out, we headed for the gates! We also got a student discount which was awesome because we love anything that goes toward the facade that we're all actually Jordanians. We walked along the path to Petra, which is maybe a mile or so in itself. It was filled with people...walking, on horses, on horse carriages, on donkeys, on camels...it was quite a sight. There were also a lot of children attempting to sell things. Waed told me that the men and women who work at Petra, in every respect, treat the kids there as their own and always take care of them. I thought this was very nice and it made me want to join the Petra family. I realize this is completely irrational. It was just a thought. Anyway! Many pictures were taken and eyes widened as every detail had to be properly absorbed. It's truly an amazing thing. The walk is meant to be long and perhaps even treacherous as the people of Petra wanted to put up the best possible defense against attacks from the outside. Living history is just mind-boggling. When we finally made it to the entrance...it was insane. Suddenly, we all realized where we were. I honestly felt like a 5 year old. I couldn't contain myself. I felt a bit like jumping up and down. We were at one of the seven man-made Wonders of the World. No big deal. 

After staring at the entrance to our hearts' content, we got to exploring. And began the most difficult hike of our lives. I don't think any of us were anticipating the sheer endurance it was going to require. I mean, the calories burned in just two hours. Honestly, it was insane. It was a beautiful day, complete with a breeze, and we hiked until we dropped. Petra is a city. And the people of ancient Petra were fit as anything. The amount of stairs.... And stairs that weren't actually stairs. It was crazy. We were in awe the entire time. And by the time we made it to the top, we were primed for the most rewarding achievement ever. Honestly, we felt like we were at the top of the world. And we deserved it after our efforts. Best. Feeling. I was (and still am) completely in love with life in that moment. We sat for a while, taking in the view and stroking the mountain cats against my better germaphobic judgement. And then we climbed back down. It was breath-takingly beautiful and I don't know if I've ever been so proud. We also determined that there should really be a fitness exam incorporated into the application process for Conn Jordan programs to come. Necessary. 

Once we made it to the bottom, we were already craving a new adventure. So, we rode camels back to the gates. It was by far one of the coolest I've been able to do. Camels are speedy! And they also do not really care that a human is on their back (I wouldn't either. I don't blame the camels) and enjoy trotting toward shelves of rocks at high speeds! It was the best. I was laughing and smiling the entire time as I bopped up and down through the air and through Petra. Also, I named my camel Roh, which means Spirit in Arabic. Because my camel was very energetic. Then we ate food. Which was perfect because we were desperately starving. And then. We headed back to Irbid. The end to The most amazing weekend of my life. Shukran all. Love to everyone. Tisbaheen ala kheir :) <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment