Wednesday, June 26, 2013

One World

I am blogging out of order, everyone. Asif. It's a crime to me as well, I am very sorry. However, I feel the need to write the details of last night before they slip from my memory! The day consisted of regular classes, which were filled with learning, as always. I must say though that we have certainly become a bit burnt out. Keeping up with life abroad and being magnificent in class all of the time has made us all a bit tired, to say the least. Personally, I feel I may be going just slightly insane and am laughing even more than usual at things that may or may not be real. I don't even think caffeine has an effect on us (some of us) any longer, which is unfortunate (not that I like caffeine...I do not). Anywho, this is merely background as to why it was truly the perfect time for an adventure! We were told to be outside at the bus for 4:30 for a barbecue with our passports, ID's, water, a jacket and nothing more. Our zombie selves boarded the bus and my zombie self settled into her happy bus corner and began fulfilling her daily quota of window gazing. This woke me up. We also picked up some extra guests along the way to our mystery destination and it quickly became clear that this was to be a special kind of occasion. As we got closer and our bus began climbing precarious-looking hills, my eyes actually physically grew wider to take in the views (..no, not actually. But I was very excited.). 

Our destination was Umm Qays, situated in the extreme north-west of the country, where the borders of Jordan, Israel and Syria meet (that small description was taken from wikipedia, my apologies). Upon arriving, we were met with an absolutely astounding image of rolling mountains, a cloudless sky, goats right below us and a seamless view of Syria, Palestine, Israel and in the distance Lebanon! It was more than incredible. My brain was herein launched into thinking of how beautiful the world is. Not to be too hideously mushy or anything, but it was amazing to be able to look at a piece of the world as it should be...borderless. I'm not saying that this is a feasible request, I'm just saying that in my mind it's a truly beautiful thing when before your eyes are the borders to three different nations and nothing appears to be dividing them but grass. Nature at its finest. If only we didn't interfere so much. The sun was bright above us and the world and it was the perfect time for some barbecue. Jordanian style. The men brought out the chicken and the coals and huzzah, there was dinner! Hummus on pita with grilled dejaj and tomato. Deliciousness at its best. And the world literally at our feet. What's so amazing about these moments is how connected you can feel with the entirety of the Middle East. It's just all there. In front of your face asking nothing of you and welcoming you to be a part of its purity. It was a perfect meal, there in the corner of the Earth.

And as the sun set, it only got better. Beauty is freedom. And everything just looked so free. And I felt so free. It was happy. Then, with the sky darkening, I took a front row seat to watch as the lights of the homes somewhere below us began to turn on, one by one. Truly perfect. It was then that someone pointed out a mountain in the distance with its own cluster of lights at the top and said that it was Lebanon. It's possible my heart pitter pattered. For those of you who don't know, my family (and I, obviously) is Lebanese. All of my relatives are extremely passionate about the culture and it's a large part of what fueled my desire to go to Jordan. For the sake of living the life. Even I never thought it would be so personal of an experience. Sitting on the edge of an old bunker in the middle of nowhere.. and everywhere.. at the same time, looking out and seeing before my own eyes the country I've heard and felt so much of...it was unreal. And it managed to confirm even moreso that my heart has taken up residence somewhere in these cities, hills, mountains and rooftops. There's no turning back. It's fine. Anyway. Then the stars emerged. If you haven't been a consistent reader, scroll back a few blogs and you'll be filled up enough on star descriptions that you can appreciate the fact that I'm not going to do that tonight. Mabrouk to you. Afwan. (The stars were SO sparkly and beautiful and perfect though!! They mirrored the twinkling lights of the cities below and it can't be denied that they added an enormous effect to the being in a corner of the world feeling. Perfection.) ((Sue me)) After lots (but not enough) of peaceful sitting and global appreciation for life as we know it, the tea was brought out and the cleaning began. Sadly, we had to leave. Ma'salama Umm Qays, I already miss you. There was some bus ride meditation with a glowing full moon to complete the moment and then? Then, we stopped on Sharai Al-Jamia (excuse my despicable transliteration) for watermelon. Yes. Watermelon. It's like some of these days are scripted to be perfect. I mean, really. Our Jordanian program assistant, Ahmed took to the ground and began passing out watermelon segments. I was very happy. Also, we just whipped the remains into the field we were next to and that's always fun so I was appropriately giddy. Mental insanity and tiredness were adequately quieted for the time being and, heading home, my mind was at peace. 

I don't know if I even managed to properly convey how beautiful certain moments of this night were, but know that I tried. Tisbaheen ala kheir everyone :) I shall now sleep and continue to mentally (and actually) prepare for our final exams, which are on Monday. Have a wonderful night/day.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday to the most beautiful young woman I know!
    May it be a blessed day filled with happiness, good friends and joy.

    ReplyDelete